Sunday, November 06, 2011

So I've Been Thinking......

I know, I know....dangerous ground.  (smile)  I have been reading a book that has been sitting on my reader for some time.  I started it in fits and bits....and suddenly it has latched on to my mind and heart.  The name of the book is Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne.

 I am almost finished with it.....and while there is some of it that I am not totally sold on....there are many parts that have majorly stepped on my toes.  There are things that I have felt should be done, that I have allowed others to marginalize and I have gone along. 

Sometimes we just need that wake up call.  Since leaving the church we were attending, I have been surprised at the things that I believe God placed in my heart, have come back around.  People, events, openings have appeared that I know have placed me where I am suppose to be.  I have learned that when God shows you something, just because those around you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not what He has lead you to do.  You just have to make the steps forward and you might just be surprised at who comes along side to join you.  God really knows what He is doing........what a concept!!! LOL

There is a book called Radical by David Platt, the book I am reading has some "radical" ideas and others that are out there echoing the same message.......but the distressing part of it is that as Christians, none of this should be radical, but just what we are called to do as Christians.   We have gotten way to comfortable in our churches, looking to build bigger and better.....and yet not willing to venture out of them to reach the world that Christ called us to.  It is not enough to send money....it is not enough to post from the comfort of your home about problems and the gospel.....it is not enough to pray for someone in the mission field...it simply is not enough.  But we do those things and it pacifies our conscience that we are "doing" something.....but it is so far from what God calls us to do that instead of it soothing us, it should be kicking us in the behind and into action.  I can't point the finger at anyone else, as I so know how easy it is to get lulled into simply showing up at church, and trying to be "good".  God didn't call us to be "good", He called us to GO.  We, especially as Americans, have become lazy and self indulgent......  and it is sad.

That is what is on my heart today.....as I wrestle with changes that need to be made in my own life.  That stepping outside of your comfort zone.  These things are never easy.......easy is, well, easier.  But where in the bible did we get a promise of a pass from conversion to comfort.  I simply can't find that in my bible.....  There are people today that are dying simply for their belief in Christ......and we sit.  And if that doesn't make us at the very least "uncomfortable" than we need to check our pulse, because something is dreadfully wrong.

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your input, comments, ideas and encouragment.....thank you!!!